Submit Your Publication to The Design Museum – A Multi-Day Workshop Experience in La Jolla
If you’re a designer, we ask you to join us and participate as a featured publication in an immersive exploration of design, storytelling and perspectives at the inaugural Design Museum workshop, drawing inspiration from the collaborative spirit of Google Design Sprint’s “art museum.”
What is the Design Museum?
Much like the renowned “art museum” exercise in Google Sprints, the Design Museum workshop invites all conference participants to engage in lively discussions and provide invaluable feedback on featured publications.
Why Visit the Design Museum?
Ever wondered about your initial reactions to a publication’s design, graphics, or narrative? The Design Museum is your platform to ask questions, offer suggestions, and share your unique viewpoint. Over two days, every attendee can participate in this interactive experience actively.
Benefits for Participating Publications
As a featured publication, you’ll receive diverse feedback and fresh ideas from a multitude of perspectives. This valuable input can serve as inspiration for your future projects, offering a unique chance to refine and elevate your content.
Facilitated Group Discussion Session
Join our esteemed facilitators—Paige K. Connor, Kevin Fullerton, and Gary Metzker—for an engaging group discussion session. This “speed critique” format will delve into comments and queries from attendees, offering insights into each publication. The creators will have the chance to share their thoughts and challenges afterward.
Exclusive Awards and Recognition
In addition to the enriching experience of the Design Museum, publications have the chance to earn prestigious awards. Special chips will be provided to attendees, allowing them to cast votes for their favorite publications. Awards such as “Best in Show” will be presented during the concluding Awards Ceremony.
How It Works
- Submissions: Participating publications can submit either printed pieces or digital printouts showcasing published works or upcoming concepts.
- Setting up the Museum: Each submission will be displayed in a dedicated room at the ACP Spring National College Convention, creating a vibrant “Design Museum” where ideas converge.
- Gallery Walk: Over two days, attendees will peruse the museum, jotting down comments or thoughts on sticky notes, fostering a diverse array of perspectives. (Thursday, March 7 and Friday, March 8)
- Group Discussion/Session: The facilitated session will feature focused discussions on each publication, followed by insights from the creators. (Saturday, March 9)
Submission & Selection Process
- Any current ACP, JACC and CCMA publication is eligible.
- Must be attending 2024 ACP Spring National College Media Convention in La Jolla, California
- Selected publications must have members attend the facilitation session.
We have a limited number of spots open. Those who complete the submission form prior to March 1, 2024, will be given selection preference.
- Complete the submission form by March 1, 2024, 11pm PST.
- Submissions can be published works or works in progress.
- Submissions can be any section, single page, spread, cover or combination of the above.
- Submissions can be magazines, digital, newspapers, yearbooks, newsletters, advertisements, etc.
- Submissions must include pdfs for print submissions or URL link for digital submissions. If password required, please supply password
Submission Review and Timeline
- To ensure quality discussions, a limited number of publications will be selected based on format, type, and size.
- Submission deadline: March 1, 2024.
- Selected publications will be notified by March 4, 2024.
- If any spots become open, we will accept walk-up submissions during conference registration on Thursday, March 7, on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Selected publications must provide printed versions or printouts by 9 am on Thursday, March 7, at the designated Registration Desk.